Randomination

keep it real! I'm front'n
Yasmin II
Yasmin
Ikmal Edris
Kit
war
Wira
Sabree
jumpingJane
Armand
Guo
Amad Eimang
Raj
Abby
Ted
Ina
Nadia
Caryn
Hati Batu
Izwan Azrul
Haider
Gidong
© 2008 gdjock@yahoo.com
Monday, April 28, 2008
Do we pressure our kids to fall in love?
True story. When I was in primary school, there was a girl who was bigger than me (duh, all girls are bigger than the boys in primary school), who openly declared her crush on me. Openly! I was dumbfounded. Clearly I had no feelings for her but I decided to go with the flow. I mean, everybody already knows, and everybody has bf/gf . I felt the urge to be 'in', so succumb to the peer pressure.

Is this even right? In the age of Hollywood idols and global warming (everybody's in heat.. get it? lol), everyone is expected to have a soul mate. Even for a school kid. I don't know about the girls, but as long as I can remember, I didn't have 'that' urge until I was in secondary school. All I could think of were what game to play after school and what will happen to Voltron next week. I think children nowadays are pressured to have a partner of different gender by the society at large. If you don't, then you are not cool.

I don't have to look far for an example. I have a 10 years old kid brother at home and I was surprised to learn that he has a girlfriend, a cute 10 years old girl (with cute little ponytail and all) who happens to live in front of my house. Not that he admits it, but whenever the girl come to my house (to ask my brother to play), my mum or my sister will announce the arrival of 'my brother's girlfriend'. I know its harmless and purely for amusement only, but doesn't it count as a pressure? Or a nudge?

Another example, when we are introduced to a lil' kid, we sometimes playfully jump to THE question. "Got any girlfriend (you cheeky little monkey)?". I feel that those kind of questions that implicitly put the pressure to the kids to have a special one. While there's nothing wrong to love another being, being together with someone else for the sake of appearance may send a different message to the young minds.

All I wanted to say is, this harmless practice is kinda improper to a child that age. Let them discover the feeling themselves. I'm afraid that in the future, any unlucky 'single' kid will be followed by those pity stares, or worse, ostracized as homosexuals. I mean, society tends to extrapolate their conclusions. Look what happened to young kids who don't mix and mingle with their friends nowadays. They were branded as 'difficult', or 'challenged', or heaven knows what else. They are just children. Save your expectations.

Labels: , ,

posted at 1:14 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At Monday, April 28, 2008 4:20:00 PM, Blogger testing123 said…

    but usually.. cinta waktu kecil is considered as "puppy love"..

    TRUE STORY
    - someone wanted to be my girlfriend last week.. But... I REJECTED

    im so mean.. i know :p

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Every Man For Himself

“Count your smiles instead of your tears; Count your courage instead of your fears.”

~ Unknown

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

~ Maya Angelou

“The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage.”

~ Thucydides

“Everything becomes a little bit different as soon as it is spoken out loud”

~ Hermann Hesse





Advertisement / I'msellingout
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Debt Consolidation